Last Monday we moved from our "home" in Rexburg, ID to Glendale, AZ. Lincoln got accepted into a masters program and we loaded up everything and moved all 884 Miles away from home.
Before we left we were able to do things that will make me homesick for awhile! We rode horses to move steers, had chilly mornings, and hanging out with everyone we will be missing for awhile!!
Sunday morning Lincoln's sister's baby was blessed and we said our goodbye's. I feel like I said goodbye a thousand times and each time, I cried!! At 10:30 we pulled out of Rexburg. Had the biggest UHaul they offer (by mistake - we didn't want that big, they just made us!) attached to the UHaul was our little car. And loaded the kids and the food in the blazer and headed out. We were so lucky to have LIncoln's sister Karma, her hubby Paul, and Lincoln's brother Ryan came along to help us drive and put the house together. We started out really well. THis kids watch 2 movies just getting to Provo. They actually did really well. Whoever drove passenger of the blazer never got a break. We stopped a lot for fuel and ate out of the back of my car!
We pulled into Glendale at 2:30 in the morning. Which was 3:30 Idaho time! 17 hours.
We got to our new home and came in to a very overwhelming smell. It smelled like a public bathroom.They had just had the carpets cleaned I think the previous renters had a hundred dogs that peed all over the floor in the family room. And cleaning the carpets in this hot AZ heat just magnified it.
Then we open up the garage to pull the cars in and there is a huge pile of TRASH taking up more than half of the garage. And it stunk big time. We were starting to get a little frustrated. Having driven 17 hours and coming into this. Not cool. We were so tired that we through down all our bedding on the damp floor and crashed for only 3 hours. We woke up unloaded the UHaul before it got too hot - haha - ya right!
Once we got everything in we started noticing that more was wrong than just the stinky family room/house and the pile of trash... Realized that the 2 bathrooms upstairs - neither toilets will flush. This place is filthy. There was 3 ...THREE piles of trash all around the house, and in the garage. Ants are everywhere. I encountered my 1st cockroach. and there are other things around the house that just are gross.
So the next day we unpacked and cleaned and ran around town trying to get everything we needed. So this morning I woke up so sad that this house is crap and that we had a contract for 9 whole months. That's too long in a dump like this. The house is huge though. 2600 square feet. It has so much potential and I love the layout.
So woke up sad and worried about all the stuff that needed to be done. It's a good thing Lincoln's family is here to help me or else I would be curled up on the couch in the fetal position sucking my thumb, humming! haha
I really think I would.
So here is how my day went. Woke up at 6, still used to Idaho time. Started cleaning the walls in the pee room and vacuumed the baking soda that I had dumped all over the carpet the night before. Then Lincoln and I went to a scratch and dent store to get a washer/dryer and fridge. (Ya, it didn't come with the house) It was sweet! The lady gave us a swinging deal. all 3 for $800. That included delivery and installation and 3 month warranty. So that made me feel a little better. It is really hard to live out of a cooler.
I went and registered Kolten for school. The 2 people in the office were so nice to me. So i vented to them for about 15 minutes and that even made me fell better! Kolten is so excited to go to school.
Came back home and cleaned more walls. And started on cleaning the kitchen. I got to the stove and about lost my lunch. Should I even tell you?...Ok I will! DOG HAIR EVERYWHERE. I pulled out the drawer on the stove and I couldn't believe it. I finished cleaning in, out, and around the stove until I got to the inside of the stove. I turned it on to self clean and it started smoking realy really bad. So I stopped it. Now I don't know what to do with that. Suggestions?
I called the owner 2 times complaining about the toilets. He kept telling us to jiggle the handle or just hold the handle down. Well we were trying everything. So the plumber came the next morning 7:30 a.m.!
Meanwhile, we got the washer/dryer, and fridge delivered. During installation he had realized that both pipes for the water for the washer had been broke and the water thing for the fridge (the pipe in the wall) was also broke. Good thing the plumber was already here. That poor guy was here from till 5:30 that day. Glad I don't have to pay that bill. We ended up getting a new toilet, he fixed the other one, fixed/welded the pipes for the washer, fixed/welded the pipe for the fridge water, checked all the leaky water spouts outside, replaced the pipes under the kids bathroom sink, and replaced the drain in the master tub.
HOLY SMOKES! Is this going to get better or worse?
Well let me tell ya...
Lincoln got fed up with all the piles of trash. Ryan, Paul, and LIncoln loaded up the UHaul and they took it off to the dump. Let me back up. He owner said he would knock of 75 dollar off our rent if we would take it to the road at the beginning of sept and the city would just come pick it up and haul it off. We didn't beleive that they would haul off that much stuff! So they loaded up the truck cause we didn't have to return it till Wed. You wouldn't beleive the smell that came out of all that trash. It stunk sooooo bad. When they got to the dump Lincoln had to pay 50 bucks because it was 2600 pounds of Junk, trash, crap! That is more than a ton.
We went to use our new fridge and pushed the water thingy and it was spraying at our feet. Well that water line was broke. We still haven't gotten that fixed. The scratch and dent people don't understand what we are saying when we say that it sprays out in the front. Maybe tomorrow!!
My kids love the "New" house! They unpacked all their toys like it was christmas! They don't quite see the impurities like I do!
I really miss Idaho and how green and cold it was. I am literally melting! And I get homesick at least once a day.
We went to a Hancock (Lincoln's cousin's house an hour away) and had dinner. Good to have some family close. We said bye to Ryan, Paul and Karma, and I cried one more time! And for a half hour after that!
I am so looking forward to church and meeting even just 1person will be fine. It was sad when I couldn't put an emergency contact name and number on Kolten's school registration. I am not used to that!
I know it will get better. We have cleaned since we have moved in and it is starting to feel more like home. I am grateful for all the help from Lincoln's family to help me move here. It was hard to let them go.
I am so looking forward to church and meeting even just 1person will be fine. It was sad when I couldn't put an emergency contact name and number on Kolten's school registration. I am not used to that!
I know it will get better. We have cleaned since we have moved in and it is starting to feel more like home. I am grateful for all the help from Lincoln's family to help me move here. It was hard to let them go.
In our little area here, we have 3 pools that we get to use. It has been fun and Kolten has turned into a fish. Where did that come from?
We are doing fine and hope to continue in that direction!
We are doing fine and hope to continue in that direction!
Kolten starts school on Monday and he is so excited! Hatti wants to go to her school but we may have to do hers at home.
We really miss Idaho but hope we can find ground here for awhile!
6 comments:
oh, your story makes my heart ache for you. it's one thing moving to a whole nother state, but to move into a mess..... that would have definitely sent me over the edge. i'm so happy that you had family to help. from experience i know it makes all the difference in the world.
best of luck in your new place. i hope it all works out. i hear it's flipping hot there right now. i hope your a/c works. :)
Every time Wes and I have moved I feel this way. The first two moves we moved into a mess too. Landlords are jerks. My philosophy is to give the community 2 years, and you'll almost for sure be attached to it too. I HATE change and so whenever we have moved I go into a state of depression for at least a month, sometimes longer, and it includes crying on a daily basis. Hang in there. We love ya!
WOW! Not the best welcome to Arizona, you have smelled a lot of crap it sounds like! I know you will make that new home awesome though. Would love to see this place all cleaned up, so post some pics. You are awesome Michelle! Keep the blog updated so we know how life in Arizona can only get better! Sending you all love, The Zickgrafs!
Oh dear Michelle! The move sounds rough! It's a little bit of deja vu for me! We have been in NYC for one year now and it isn't easy. It took me three months to stop crying every day. haha. After those three months, I was confident in getting around, new relationships, and the way of life here. It will get better. I think the most amazing thing about moving away from your comfort zone is that you have to depend on your little family, because in the beginning they are all you have! :) Give it some time, and you will love it!
What a nightmare! I hate having to move and this move sounds worse than most! You will soon start to feel at home and the heat won't bug you after a little while, I know Nevada is Super hot too but the kids can swim all summer long and Never get cold. wishing you lots and lots of luck!
OH MY HECK!!! I would of told them that with everything you did, you should get 2 months free! Or I would of turned right back around and left. Screw the contract, the place wasn't livable! I'm sorry its been so rough. I've been worried about how you'd handle being away from everyone and everything you know! But, once you get in the swing of things I'm sure you'll learn to love being dripping with sweat all the time! AHAHAHAHA!! ;) I'm sad I didn't get to see you before you left. Once you get the house all cleaned up you need to post pictures!
Post a Comment